Eastgate lost millions sports betting

Many people speculated as to why Eastgate quit poker in 2010, and then returned less than a year later.

In an interview to a Danish newspaper Politiken last weekend, Eastgate explains that he has lost millions of dollars on sports betting.

Eastgate pocketed more than 9 million dollars for winning the WSOP Main Event in 2008. This fortune shrunk considerably during last year's Football World Cup in South Africa.

Last Saturday Eastgate told in an interview that he has lost $1.7 million on sports betting, especially during the World Cup last summer.

But according to the gambler himself, many of his friends are even more addicted to the activity of predicting sports results than he is.

"It is slightly in a poker player's DNA to make bets. And there are many of my friends who are doing far more bets than I do. It is a tension passion poker players need to vent," Eastgate explains to the newspaper.

In the same interview, Eastgate also tells that he has now stopped his sports gambling. Having made a deal with a couple of poker buddies, Eastgate is compelled to give his friends $20,000 in penalty if, in the future, he spends more than $2,000 on sports betting.

The Dane, who just had a relatively okay comeback on the poker stage, though not cashing in his first live event in 9 months at the EPT Copenhagen, says that this deal with his friends has prevented him from betting ridiculous amounts on sports events ever since.

6 Responses

Sort Responses by [ Oldest First - Newest First - Most Popular ]

Got something to say? Click here to Add a Response!

SmokeDaAces
SmokeDaAces Silver 2
3151d ago

This sound like one of my buddies. Seems like its a common theme amongst poker players and people with no self control :( Need to have self control and money management to be successful in poker and in life.

vlady002
vlady002 Silver 3
3151d ago

hey i was a beting player into sport game with some years ago but now i stop ! . . .but i stil have one problem . . i play poker and into same time i go to the casiono > on poker platform and play roulette :( . ..win some $ and then i lose all my bankroll  .. .. i can't stop betting after i lose some $ :(:| :(

somnorosu
somnorosu Silver 1
3150d ago

sims like evrey poker player is a gambler...

szabby69
szabby69 Silver 2
3150d ago

this is the game win or lost. thats a game.

Kflushed
Kflushed Silver 1
3149d ago

A real gambler learns from his mistakes and also his friends mistakes:) Good for him he stopped sport betting..maybe he should focus on poker more?

ICalledWithJunk

I think he definitely need to stop listening to others to make their bets, I know some of these ''celeb'' are buying ''picks'' from tout to try and make some money, its not always a good thing.

PF_pitboss