Semi-live coverage of WSOP main event

ESPN is gunna air same-day coverage with a 30 minute tape delay from day 3 through 8 during the main event. This seems pretty cool, but if they only do it for part of the tournament, when will the first two days be shown? Do you guys think this is a good idea? Check out this link if you want to read more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/news/story?id=6477409 

3 Responses

Sort Responses by [ Oldest First - Newest First - Most Popular ]

Got something to say? Click here to Add a Response!

ICalledWithJunk

Good news, hopefully the feed will be reliable.

SmokeDaAces
SmokeDaAces Silver 2
4022d ago

I think its a great idea except for maybe the showing of whole cards....as it will really give out tells and playing style of players. But I guess that's all part of the game. So players will have to change gears a lot more and make sure they're aware that they're being showing with a 30 minute delay if on the two featured tables.

mothersquatch

I really think this is a VERY bad idea! Now if they did a 24 hr delay, maybe...but 30 mins? Any players with the resources & group of supporters can now have people analyzing the feed & report to their player during breaks! Then there's the chance of established players getting inside info from "friends" @ESPN. This system is ripe to be abused...all this for ratings?

ESPN needs to re-think this one...do they think there isn't an office pool or side bets on who will win. Or will the WSOP & ESPN have to make even more rules? How's about sequestering players during the tournament? Be ready for problems...because everyone is looking for an edge & many will exploit this any way they can!

To be fair it shouldn't shown till it is over, that way it will be a level playing field for everyone! 

1 Comments »
Posted by axistilt23 on 05/17/2011 12:35PM [ Reply ]

Yeah it does seem like there will be some problems with this format. I guess this will be like a trial run to see what will work and what won't, but I think they should do the experiment on an event that is less significant than the Main Event. I wonder how the top pros feel about this.

axistilt23