Anyone watch the few minutes that Johnny Chan and Phil Hellmuth did the ESPN2 color commentary last night?

Anyone watch the few minutes that Johnny Chan and Phil Hellmuth did the ESPN2 color commentary last night?

Some said it was the funniest commentary with them prop betting, Hellmuth wanted $20 and Chan for $5, then settling for coffee as on air prob bets are a no-no.

Some said it was the worst commentary as Chan is almost unintelligible and Hellmuth is a blowhard.

What did you think?

3 Responses

Sort Responses by [ Oldest First - Newest First - Most Popular ]

Got something to say? Click here to Add a Response!

somnorosu
somnorosu Silver 1
1132d ago

funny players

mothersquatch

I missed that part (it musta been when I was jumping between O'Reilly & Hannity). I did watch a bit though & I found it not to be as well produced as previous ones. This almost live isn't as smooth as the edited editions.  It reminds me the difference between a live Baseball game & watching on TV,  the flow live is just too slow.

So this set up is more for the "True Fan" than to draw in new ones.  I'd like to see them do it the old way (taped & edit), but for the big time fans they can offer a PPV style (online or on cable). This way they can expand the viewing base as well start a new revenue stream.

As for Phil's commentary, he's a poker genius, in the same way Dennis Miller was a great on MNF, but they don't translate well to the general public. (the same way with William F. Buckley)

Mike Sexton is far better & would have made a great 1-2 with Phil. Norman Chad is funny, but I think he should just have a segment & not be putting in his 2 cents on every hand too.

axistilt23
axistilt23 Silver 2
1126d ago

I watched it from start to finish, and my only complete is how thay keep switching the blinds and players stacks withoit really telling you why. I also hate Norman Chad witha passion. I though the like coverage was ten times better.

PF_pitboss