Main Event winner Dougherty tries and fails to sell his WSOP bracelet

Dougherty has had one of the quietest careers in poker after winning a WSOP Main Event. Now comes word he tried and failed to sell his bracelet. It reached a bid of $28,100 but that didn't meet his reserve.

He now lives in the Philippines. Daugherty explained that he wanted to use the proceeds to help out the region’s less fortunate was the reason behind selling his bracelet, saying, “As anyone that has been here knows, there are lots of homeless kids and people living in poverty. I am always helping kids and families that I see in need. I thought, why not just auction the bracelet off and use it where it could do some good, rather than just let it sit in the US in a safe deposit box.”
He added, “I have heard a lot of stories where a very small amount of the money donated to charities actually reaches those in need. Since I am living over here, I will be able to control where any charity goes from the sale of my bracelet.”

" I have had many people ask. Why are you selling your bracelet? Last year when I saw that Peter Eastgate's bracelet sold on Ebay for about $147,000 for charity. It got me to thinking, my bracelet has just been sitting in a safety deposit box for about 20 years, occasionally taking it out to wear to a tournament. I have been in the Philippines a lot over the last few years, and as anyone that has been here knows, there are lot's of homeless kids, many sleeping on the sidewalks, and lots of other people living in poverty. I am always helping kids and families that I see in need. I thought why not just auction the bracelet off and use it where it could do some good, rather than just sit in a safe deposit box. I have heard a lot of stories where very small amounts of any money donated to charities actually reach those in need. Since I am spending most of my time in the Philippines, I will be able to direct where all the money goes from the sale of my bracelet, and to be able to personally help."

2 Responses

Sort Responses by [ Oldest First - Newest First - Most Popular ]

Got something to say? Click here to Add a Response!

zzbigstackzz
zzbigstackzz Silver 2
1205d ago

That's awesome to see guys sell something so unique and rare to benefit others. Hopefully he can sell it and do some good for people who need it. Do you know what his reserve was for the auction?

vlady002
vlady002 Silver 3
1204d ago

something nice happens to those poker players who do charity! helping the needy is a great thing. You should follow the example and to another great poker players, and donate money to organize dealing with poor people and especially children abandoned

PF_pitboss