Bye Phi Laak, hello New Zealand - poker endurance record broken again

According to the Wanganui Chronicle from New Zealand a pair of players have bested Phil Laak's world record for longest live session.

Christie Teki-Reu and "Chopper" left the poker table together on Saturday after a world record-breaking 117 hours, two hours longer than Phil Laak did at the Wynn this past summer.

Eight players started the world record attempt at 5pm on Monday in the Grand Hotel.

For every non-stop hour the players completed, they were allowed a five-minute break which they could accumulate to take a longer break.

Ms Teki-Reu said the Thursday and Friday nights were the hardest, but buoyed by meals brought in by her partner Kevin and the support of her family, she made it over the line at 2pm on Saturday.

She then went home and slept from 3-8pm, then went back to bed at 10pm and woke yesterday morning at 8am.

4 Responses

Sort Responses by [ Oldest First - Newest First - Most Popular ]

Got something to say? Click here to Add a Response!

PF_Simon
PF_Simon Gold 3
3150d ago

Phil Laak exploit was more fun to watch probably because there were more medias present and that is wellknown around the world but I mean ... I don't really care about Christie Teki-Reu and "Chopper" honestly ... Phil Laak did some funny interviews after the record and stuff like that etc but that is just my opinion eh Smile

motriuc
motriuc Silver 1
3148d ago

i not understand what they get with this? ther game was constant,money from promo or what ?

PF_pitboss
PF_pitboss Platinum 3
3148d ago

It is simply a pride and fame achievement.  If they are certified as a Guinness world record holder, there is fame and possible self promotion that could result.

PF_Mark
PF_Mark Bronze 3
3147d ago

I think stakes has a lot to do wtih the record too though. I mean if you have some people playing microstakes that play longer hours then its not as fancy as say someone playing mid stakes or high stakes for as long.

Not sure why these people would tourcher themselves like that though.

PF_pitboss